Wednesday 23 June 2010

Apple's IOS 4 Folders: Usable, but Poorly Implemented - By pcworld

Apple's iOS 4 upgrade for the iPhone and iPod touch. The new multitasking and Mail features alone are great, but I was especially eager to get my fingers on the new folders feature.

Folders are essentially collections of apps. That concept appeals greatly to people (like me) with screenful-upon-screenful of apps; by grouping similar apps together, you can clean up your many home screens and spend less time swiping. But there are two elements to iOS 4 folders that are--to use the technical term--really, really annoying.

Annoyance #1

iOS folders can only hold 12 items. That's dopey.
Ignoring the four permanently docked apps at the bottom of each Home screen, you can store 16 apps per page on your iPhone. I imagine I'm not the only person on the planet who, prior to the launch of the new folders feature, organized his apps by screen. My first Home screen was devoted to the apps I use the most often, a few others to my favorite games, and one screen to apps for my kids.

The common factor on each of those organized screens? They all included 16 apps. Apple's design decision to limit folders to 12 apps requires that I reorganize my apps a lot--which isn't just unpleasant, it's unnecessary. Look at the "full" folder pictured to the right.

Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Namely, that nearly 80-pixel-tall region at the bottom of my screen where all you can see is my cobblestone wallpaper? You know what would fit just perfectly there?

Four more apps, that's what. I'm thinking that Apple feared putting any "non-dock" and non-fast-app-switching apps along that bottom row might confuse folks, but I disagree with that hypothetical decision I just invented. As is, even if you're not a former adherent of the "organizing by screenful" mentality, this folder layout involves a bizarre use of wasted space.

For full story go - http://www.pcworld.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated Celebrity Hot

http://www.wikio.com Feedage Grade A rated Add to Technorati Favorites My Zimbio
Top Stories